Friday, March 27, 2009

From the tip of Africa.

Metabolic Syndrome is a cluster of disorders that includes insulin resistance, high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol levels, and obesity.   The cumulative effect of these disorders can lead to type 2 diabetes and heart disease.  Most physicians will prescribe the drug hydrochlorthiazide (HCTZ) for early blood pressure problems and Metformin for insulin resistance.     

The problem is, HCTZ causes depletion of nutrients like magnesium, potassium, zinc, CoQ10, and sodium, but the package label only warns you of the potassium depletion.  By unknowingly losing all of these vital nutrients, your body cannot properly metabolise glucose.  So the end result is that medication being prescribed to manage blood pressure pushes the insulin resistant person right into the path of becoming a type 2 diabetic.   

And that’s not all.  Metformin will deplete B12 and folic acid causing your homocysteine levels to rise to dangerously high levels.   This can result in kidney and cardiovascular damage and contribute to Alzheimer’s disease — all known consequences of type 2 diabetes.  So by taking Metformin and not supplementing with extra B12 and folic acid, you could be accelerating the complications of the very disease you are trying to prevent!  

  Because HCTZ causes the loss of magnesium, Restless Leg Syndrome can develop.  So after people take HCTZ for awhile, they complain to their doctors that they can’t sleep at night because of restless legs or muscle cramps.  The doctor then prescribes Requip for Restless Leg Syndrome, when the solution is really to take more magnesium.
Just thought that the above may be of interest and could explain some of the problems which come with treating the side affects of active Hepatitis C.

GrowFatAndGoBald

You cannot help but dwell on the Hep C virus if for various reasons you have relapsed ,not been treatable or have not had any response from what ever treatment you go through. I have spoken my thoughts about it before. How does one respond when a person or friend announces that piece of news. It isn't easy. When it comes down to a life threatening event how do you support that person?I guess it depends on how well you know them. The majority of us treating this illness are only virtual companions. We are scattered world wide. Those who manage the forums we meet on have an unenviable job which they give their time to voluntarily.Often battling with their own or their partners illness they have to feel an empathy for others who having made themselves known have had their spirits dashed. This often has to be done in the public eye so to speak. Any words given are fed upon and it is so easy to put the wrong  meaning to any innocuous word. Some may take it to be insincere or even flippant, or just the  general unfeeling  words uttered by one just glazing over what is very bad news to those involved.
I FOR ONE WISH TO THANK ALL FORUM ADMINS..This is not a perfect world and there are times when a wrong meaning will be conveyed and someone will get upset. I understand that it isn't from a lack of feeling, maybe just the all to human trait of being unable to form in words the sentiment felt. We all have put our big foot in our mouths at one time or another. Running a forum is in itself very selfless, takes a lot of stress and strain. In a world where we are unable to form or even share an opinion without having a defensive wall set up. To be sometimes the object of open hostility and blame and to be able to go on beyond that needs a very special breed of person. In the last 3 years I have seen the best and the worst of being on a forum. But good or bad they are places which we do need and do have support and can learn to be a better self.

Funny thing for me is I have made more friends since I have had this illness than I have ever had. Virtual .maybe , but with some a true friendship has been built up and mutual respect and caring given and accepted. I am in normal life very self sufficient. I can function very happily on my own. I like my own company and in general keep myself to myself. But it has been  and still is  a very warming experience for me to be involved and sharing probably for the first time in my life  with others.

What brought out these words in me. I have felt a great sadness these last few weeks. To many of my friends have had the bad experience of receiving bad news. Every time one of them goes through it,it  is like a piece of me has been chipped off. For with their successes I feel that I will succeed and with their losses I feel the numbers stacking up against me. So when I say I am gutted by the news I am ,but I'm not sure if it is for selfish reasons of my own. I am will always be an imperfect creature, it is those imperfections that make me who I am.

1 comment:

LaurieBluesGuy said...

Hi Col,

don't get to drop by the blogs as much as I should. Can I just state that you are one of the most slefless men I have met, you spend your time on the Forums to help others with your advice.

From a Forum admin to a Forum member - just thanks for being around ..

Lau